Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth randomly disconnects from all devices

My MacBook Pro will randomly disconnect all Bluetooth devices (Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, AirPods Pro) and then re-connect them again after a few seconds.

I've already reset the Bluetooth module on my MBP but the problem persists. Any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 6:51 AM

Thanks for getting back to us Aventine,

Are you currently connected to a 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi network? If so, are you able to connect to a 5Ghz network? Bluetooth uses 2.4, so we want to rule out interference.

Also, after that, we'd like to have you temporarily turn off Wi-Fi entirely. Here are the steps: Manage the Wi-Fi connection on your Mac - Apple Support

Test out the Bluetooth connection with that turned off and let us know what happens.

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2020 6:51 AM in response to Aventine

Thanks for getting back to us Aventine,

Are you currently connected to a 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi network? If so, are you able to connect to a 5Ghz network? Bluetooth uses 2.4, so we want to rule out interference.

Also, after that, we'd like to have you temporarily turn off Wi-Fi entirely. Here are the steps: Manage the Wi-Fi connection on your Mac - Apple Support

Test out the Bluetooth connection with that turned off and let us know what happens.

Cheers!

Oct 5, 2020 12:50 PM in response to Aventine

Hello Aventine,

We see that you're having some trouble with your Bluetooth-based accessories disconnecting from your Mac. Could you let us know what macOS version you have installed? It's under the Apple menu > About This Mac. Also, we recommend reviewing the following articles and troubleshooting steps:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Oct 13, 2020 7:38 AM in response to Aventine

Hello Aventine,

Interference in locations is always a possibility, so it's worth narrowing down if this is location specific. The bottom of the article "Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference" outlines some situational and material based sources of interference.

If it persists in a wide array of places, then we'd recommend that you Contact Apple Support so they can look into this further with you.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

Oct 12, 2020 7:26 PM in response to MoonJ.

Thank you, this worked!

A quick check on my router implies that the MBP had always been on the 5Ghz network, but turning Wi-Fi off seemed to solves the issue.

This is a conundrum though: I can connect via cable, but could this issue be isolated only to this particular spot in my home? I'd like to be able to use Wi-Fi in other spots as well.

Bluetooth randomly disconnects from all devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.