Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I update my software if my computer is from 2011?? I think this is ridiculous that I can't update mine and I need to in order for my Adobe programs to work! :(

How can I update my computer to at the latest software so I can do my job? I have an iMac from 2011. Has MacOS Sienna 10.12.6 but need 10.13 at the very least to be able to run my Adobe programs on my computer. More importantly I can't even update my Camera Raw in Lightroom or Photoshop in order to work my customer's images. Please help! Is there any way I can get at LEAST that update?? OR will my computer just not accept it? UGH This computer works fine and is very disappointing that I can even do the necessary updates anymore.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 10:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 11:08 PM

Welcome!

UGH This computer works fine and is very disappointing that I can even do the necessary updates anymore.

The update to High Sierra is quickly found by doing a search for High Sierra in the Apple Support home page.

That will give you this:

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Some notes:

1) Before trying to install, look in your Applications folder and make certain that a High Sierra updater is not already there. IF one is there it will trigger an error. Deleted the older version before downloading the new one.

2)If you need to use a browser to download it, use Safari. THere are numerous repoerts of FireFox not working for Mac suste upgrade files.

3) ⚠️ Back up you hard drive before starting the update.

We are still using a 2011 iMac and it does quite well with High Sierra.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2020 11:08 PM in response to v2imags

Welcome!

UGH This computer works fine and is very disappointing that I can even do the necessary updates anymore.

The update to High Sierra is quickly found by doing a search for High Sierra in the Apple Support home page.

That will give you this:

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Some notes:

1) Before trying to install, look in your Applications folder and make certain that a High Sierra updater is not already there. IF one is there it will trigger an error. Deleted the older version before downloading the new one.

2)If you need to use a browser to download it, use Safari. THere are numerous repoerts of FireFox not working for Mac suste upgrade files.

3) ⚠️ Back up you hard drive before starting the update.

We are still using a 2011 iMac and it does quite well with High Sierra.

Sep 28, 2020 11:01 PM in response to v2imags

According to this page:

https://jimmytechsf.com/what-system-software-can-my-mac-run/

the latest version of the OS your machine can run is 10.13. OS High Sierra.

If you want to use the latest version of the OS then you'll need to use a machine that is capable of running it. The hardware requirements of each version of the OS grow over time. A machine from 9 years ago just doesn't have the technical wherewithal for the job. And no, if the machine is not capable of doing what you want, then it does not "work fine" any more.

How can I update my software if my computer is from 2011?? I think this is ridiculous that I can't update mine and I need to in order for my Adobe programs to work! :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.