Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rebooting macOS mojave 10.14.6, install Mac OS X..?

Hello all, I wanted to sell my Macbook Air, so I wanted to reset to manufacturing settings and deleted or erased using disk utilities, and APFS erased a hard drive, not sure if this is exactly what I did, but after doing so I restarted my laptop, and a folder with question mark keeps blinking. I tried going to Reinstall Mac OS X, but it would show 2billion hrs to complete then say "can't download additional components needed to install Mac os X" please help, tried a bunch of different stuff too. Do not want to take apart the laptop, i dont believe anything is wrong with it internally (haven't used the laptop in 4 years it worked fine before i APFS erased..) Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 7:36 PM

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R. While this works using WiFi it may work better when connecting the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter as the connection is faster & more reliable plus it eliminates any possible WiFi issues you may have.

If you have access to another Mac which can use the same version of macOS as this MBAir, then you can use it to create a bootable macOS USB installer. Pick a version of macOS that both Macs can use.

FYI, If you erased the drive using Disk Utility, then the SSD should have purged all your personal information.

Here is what Apple recommends you should do when preparing to sell or recycle a Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2020 7:36 PM in response to DNG94

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R. While this works using WiFi it may work better when connecting the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter as the connection is faster & more reliable plus it eliminates any possible WiFi issues you may have.

If you have access to another Mac which can use the same version of macOS as this MBAir, then you can use it to create a bootable macOS USB installer. Pick a version of macOS that both Macs can use.

FYI, If you erased the drive using Disk Utility, then the SSD should have purged all your personal information.

Here is what Apple recommends you should do when preparing to sell or recycle a Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Rebooting macOS mojave 10.14.6, install Mac OS X..?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.