Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I resize a partition on external hard drive in 0/S 10.15.7

I have 4 partitions on my HD, the the one was set up to use for expansion of any of the other 3. Since updating to Catalina I can't slide the partition boundaries nor input a new size except on the "last" partition. I need to enlarge my 1st and 2nd (going clockwise from 12 o'clock) and sacrifice space in the "last" partition which is unused. How can I do that?

Thanks in advance

Henry

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 6:29 PM

Re-sizing partitions has never been guaranteed. You run the risk of crashing the partition Map and losing everything.

so before you begin, you need to make a Backup that includes all the important Volumes.

But once you have a backup of all the important Volumes, it make MUCH more sense just to erase the drive, set up the partition sizes you want, and restore the data.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 6:29 PM in response to Henry Smith

Re-sizing partitions has never been guaranteed. You run the risk of crashing the partition Map and losing everything.

so before you begin, you need to make a Backup that includes all the important Volumes.

But once you have a backup of all the important Volumes, it make MUCH more sense just to erase the drive, set up the partition sizes you want, and restore the data.

how do I resize a partition on external hard drive in 0/S 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.