Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 appears to allow me only to silence unwanted calls and texts. I want to block them. How can I do that?

iOS 14 appears to allow me only to silence unwanted calls and texts. I want to block them. How can I do that?

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 11:00 AM

For SMS text spam forward the message to SPAM (7726) and your carrier will block it for you and others. But, as discussed, this won’t accomplish much because it’s easy to spoof a phone number, and there are also online services that will let anyone send a text to a phone number using short codes.

For phone calls the phone cannot block a call once it leaves the carrier’s network destined for your phone, all it can do is send it to voicemail. Some carriers offer apps that let you report calls to be blocked at the network before they get sent to your phone. AT&T Call Protect is an example. This has the same spoofed number limitation.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 11:00 AM in response to LMHudson

For SMS text spam forward the message to SPAM (7726) and your carrier will block it for you and others. But, as discussed, this won’t accomplish much because it’s easy to spoof a phone number, and there are also online services that will let anyone send a text to a phone number using short codes.

For phone calls the phone cannot block a call once it leaves the carrier’s network destined for your phone, all it can do is send it to voicemail. Some carriers offer apps that let you report calls to be blocked at the network before they get sent to your phone. AT&T Call Protect is an example. This has the same spoofed number limitation.

Sep 29, 2020 9:49 AM in response to LMHudson

Just so you know it will only silence unwanted texts that come in via iMessage (blue bubble) not SMS texts (green bubble).

You can block the ones that come in from phone numbers by creating a Contact card for each one and blocking it. Since most of the robocalls usually spoof phone numbers you may inadvertently end up blocking numbers that you need to go through. And some will come in and actually appear to be a contact that you already have. Check with your cell service provider and see if they have a program for blocking, particularly for texts.

Sep 29, 2020 9:57 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Thanks for your quick response. I realize now this is a deeper question that I thought. The correct answer, for everyone who finds the new layout confusing, is similar to what you suggest but a little more complicated: for an unwelcome text (1) click on the > to the right of the sender's name, (2) then on the i circle that appears, (3) then on the "info" box that appears. It is that final click that gives you the option of blocking the caller. The other information you provided causes me to realize this whole exercise may be futile and these texters are way smarter than I am.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.