Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run Migration Assistant if old iMac has a black screen?

I have an interesting problem. I recently had to replace a 12- or 13-year-old iMac because the screen suddenly went black (and remained so). The folks at my local Apple store said that they would not be able to migrate my stuff to the new iMac for me. Basically, I need to know if it would be possible to use Migration Assistant when one of the Macs has a black screen. The old Mac powers up, but I can't log in. The info on the Apple website seems to suggest that the new Mac should recognize the old one anyway, if I boot up the old one in target disk mode. Is this true? If not, is there some other way to transfer that info?

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 11:03 AM

Get the cables you need to try Target DiskMode...

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/transfer-files-computers-target-disk-mode-mchlp1443/10.13/mac/10.13

Also...

Use a Flashlight up close at various angles, do you see a faint Desktop?

8 replies

Sep 30, 2020 8:10 PM in response to dennisl59

If you have a Time Machine or Clone backup, then you can migrate to the new iMac from it while setting up the new iMac. see > Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

If not and you know someone else with a Mac, you can try Target Disk Mode and move you data from it to an external drive.

If not, then your only hope is to get the old hard drive out of the old iMac so you can migrate from it when you setup your new iMac.

Can I run Migration Assistant if old iMac has a black screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.