Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I save texts received in Messages as text files on my hard drive

How do I save texts received in Messages as text files on my hard drive?

I keep detailed personal business records by saving mostly emails I receive in their "proper" folder based on client, project etc.

But when I receive a text, I usually read it on my iPhone. But if I want to save the text like I would save an email, I have no way - even from the laptop MacOS Messages app - to save a selected message via my Finder into whatever folder I might choose to save it in.

Is there a way to do that? Or do I just have to ask business associates to stop texting me important info that I need to save?

Steve

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 12:53 AM

Select the text, copy, new file in TextEdit or whatever program you want, paste, save.

And it is also possible to create a little Automator service to do all the steps above. If you add a keyboard shortcut to that service it makes it very quick to use.

3 replies

Nov 6, 2020 1:47 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, thanks

Yes, I kinda knew that and use it.

But you can't truly automate the task if each message is stored in a folder specific to the contents of the message. So it really doesn't do the trick.

Why can't the messages app on my desktop take a message and save it as a pdf or text file to wherever I point to in the (as yet non-existent) save dialogue box? Seems possible. Once the digits enter my computer and form words on the screen, they would seem to be accessible to the MacOS like any other text.

But then who am I to know how all this magic works?

But do you agree that my solution is devoutly to be desired? For you too!!

How do I save texts received in Messages as text files on my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.