Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Macs read "PC discs" in 2020?

I'm having Radiotherapy for throat cancer and, for various reasons, I need my MRI/PET scan images on a disc. The NHS (UK) is sending its patients their image files on CDs. They ask patients if they'd like a "Mac disc" or a "PC disc". I requested Mac but have been sent a doc that my Mac can read but which is full of only PC files (.exe files, etc).

Am I right in thinking that Macs can now read pretty much any common disc format, though (dual boot aside) they will be unable to open PC files like .exe?

I routinely transfer video and static image files across platforms and usually change formats easily in Adobe Media Encoder so I don't understand why our NHS seems to struggle with this seemingly simple task.🤔

I wouldn't want to take this further though without being a little more certain of the facts! 😬

Anyone experienced in these matters?

MacBook Pro 15ā€³, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 8:26 AM

They are probably self-extracting archives which store the images and video. They may need to compress them to fit on the disk, so they use a self-extracting zip archive. Why they don't just zip them I can't explain.

Another option is likely a proprietary viewer app that is needed to view the files. There really isn't a way to overcome the cross-platform issue other than have somebody re-encode the video/image into standard formats, if even possible.

They would have to only buy equipment that output the files encoded with common, open codecs. My guess is that the companies producing the equipment won't go for that since they are probably licensing the viewing software along with the cost of the equipment.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2020 8:26 AM in response to tomb

They are probably self-extracting archives which store the images and video. They may need to compress them to fit on the disk, so they use a self-extracting zip archive. Why they don't just zip them I can't explain.

Another option is likely a proprietary viewer app that is needed to view the files. There really isn't a way to overcome the cross-platform issue other than have somebody re-encode the video/image into standard formats, if even possible.

They would have to only buy equipment that output the files encoded with common, open codecs. My guess is that the companies producing the equipment won't go for that since they are probably licensing the viewing software along with the cost of the equipment.

Oct 1, 2020 8:45 AM in response to tomb

tomb Said:

"Can Macs read 'PC discs' in 2020?: I'm having Radiotherapy for throat cancer and, for various reasons, I need my MRI/PET scan images on a disc. The NHS (UK) is sending its patients their image files on CDs. They ask patients if they'd like a 'Mac disc' or a 'PC disc'. I requested Mac but have been sent a doc that my Mac can read but which is full of only PC files (.exe files, etc).[...]"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

• Contact the Developer:

As for EXE files, contact the developer, and see if they have what you need for the installation type. If it is a self-made exe program (made via MS Visual Basic), then you'd have to stick with Windows. If you cannot purchase a program, then use a read-only file. An example of that is MS Word Reader - you can view the files, but you don't have spend all the money on the app itself.

• Modify the Extensions:

Copy the file to the Desktop, then modify its extension to AVI or MP4. See if you can then view it. Quicktime Player would be a great a great application to use to play various formats.

• Run this Through a Virtual Machine:

If there ends up being not solution for this other than Windows, consider using aĀ Virtual Machine(VM) for these programs (Windows-in-a-window). You would open items in it, and run them off of that. All would be accessed and would operate as desired on theĀ VM.Ā Virtual MachineĀ applications includeĀ VMWare FusionĀ andĀ Parallels.Ā Learn more here:Ā What Is a Virtual Machine? - VMWare Support.

Oct 1, 2020 2:45 AM in response to tomb

exe are programs/apps

to run windows programs on a mac one has to install windows in bootcamp or in a virtual machine

or attempt to use the emulation software wine bottler

think it may be easier to use a windows computer to access the photos and save them on an usb stick and bring it home to your mac, that is of cause unless the photos is also in the root of the dics or in some subDir

Oct 1, 2020 5:00 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks Rudegar, for myself I'll a PC to translate the files to something more useful, like jpgs or .mp4 or a YouTube video.

The issue I'm having with the NHS though is that they seem to believe this is some sort of mysterious dark art or that cross-platform issues are impossible to cater for.

If I can persuade them otherwise we could help thousands of patients annually.

Oct 1, 2020 8:01 AM in response to tomb

As said, .exe files are not images or files of any type other than Windows executable files. They can only execute in Windows. Macs have always been able to read from NTFS Windows formatted drives. So data files like images can be read by Macs without issue.

I guess I don't understand your issue. You can read files. You can't execute Windows programs. Why is that an issue?

Oct 1, 2020 9:14 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks folks.

To clarify (beyond the OP), the NHS does indeed seem to be struggling to simply burn images and video to a disc in the common formats (jpg, H. 264 mp4, etc), which to my mind would be the simplest, most robust approach for the benefit of all patients.

Instead extra complexities are introduced by the adoption of platform-specific proprietorial viewers, odd formats and encryption, etc.

It's interesting that this may be due to licensing issues and also, perhaps, the requirements of some medics for very high-res imagery or overly large video file sizes?

While imagery has advanced a lot since 2000, even at their current res my 2 MRIs, 1 PET scan and sundry minor image files would still barely fill half a disc when unzipped and in common formats.

I suspect this is the case for most patients.

Maybe it's time for medical imaging departments to review this approach?

I certainly wouldn't wish to run .exe files on my Mac (or anything MS! 😉)

I believe most of the contributions so far have shed sufficient light on this matter and provided the insights I was hoping for so I'll mark this as solved sometime tomorrow evening (GMT) to allow enough time for any late responders.

Thanks for the help folks! 👍

Oct 1, 2020 11:04 AM in response to tomb

I can be of help here. First question. Yes, a Mac can read a PC formatted disk. But, you or any other physician, will need to have the correct software installed to be able to open the file and display its information. There is more than one app for storing this kind of data. I am sure that you do not have that app installed in your computer as it is sold to medical professionals. So, yes, by all means get the file on a disk. Then other medical professionals who have the same app will be able to open the file and see its data. My wife recently had this same experience, so that is where I am coming from.

Oct 7, 2020 7:49 AM in response to tomb

Sorry for the slow Solve on this but y'know.. cancer (great to have such a handy excuse 😄).

It's wonderful the way the community here is so helpful and with exactly the kind of creative and thoughtful attitude to the problems that you'd hope for.

TLDR; The NHS is stuck with some disadvantageous in-house software and methodologies.

It's 2020 now- reencoding files is generally so simple it really should be done at source by the imaging departments, rather than passing the problem on to patients, most of who will never realise it isn't really an obscure technical problem at all. If you have this problem and you find this thread, feedback about it, otherwise things will never progress.

Oct 8, 2020 9:13 PM in response to tomb

If the .exe is a self-extracting archive, then you can try to manually extract the contents using 7zip which can handle most archive formats.

While there are some outdated macOS GUI versions such as Keka the only way to get the latest version of 7zip on a Mac is by using Homebrew to give you the command line version of 7zip.

https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/p7zip

To use this to attempt to extract the contents of the .exe file you need to launch the Terminal app and type the following "7z x " making sure to leave at least one space after the "x":

7z  x  

Then using the Finder drag & drop the .exe file onto the open Terminal window to auto-fill the correct path to the .exe file. Then continue typing the following (that is a "dash/hyphen" followed by a lowercase letter "Oh"):

-o$HOME/Desktop/extracted_files_exe

So you end up with a command that would look similar to this template:

7z  x  <path-to-exe-file>  -o$HOME/Desktop/extracted_files_exe

The "<path-to-exe-file>" is just a placeholder for the actual path which could look something like:

7z  x  /Volumes/Medical\ CD/scan-results.exe  -o$HOME/Desktop/extracted_files_exe

This command will create a new folder on the Desktop called "extracted_files_exe" where the contents of the archive will be found if successful. You can name this folder anything you want, but just make sure it does not include any spaces in the name.

Can Macs read "PC discs" in 2020?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.