Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Second Monitor w/MBP

I have a 2nd monitor to go along side my MBP. MBP is Screen A and the additional monitor is Screen B. No problems with setup and everything is working smoothly, but I'm curious if there is a way to set it so that apps open on the monitor that I'm working on.

Example: I'm on Screen A and I open my email app. Sometimes it opens on Screen A and sometimes it opens on Screen B. Or vice versa. Same goes for web browser, iMovie, Photos, and just about every other app that I use. Any way to set it so that apps open on the monitor I'm actively using so that I don't have to drag them back and forth? Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 12:20 PM

There are two very distinct ways to use multiple displays on your Mac. The oldest is called Extended Desktop. In this use-case, the displays are combined along an edge of your choosing into one extended desktop. The mouse moves freely across the boundary, and any window can be parked anywhere, including split across the virtual seam between displays, and scrolling the window scrolls both parts "the right way".

The other method is an outgrowth of and and a superset of Mission Control's multiple "Spaces" concept, where a working set of Apps are connected to a particular "Space" and every document used by that App will be opened and used in that space. Spaces can be moved in and out of the current display.

The extension of this concept to include Multiple displays is called "Displays have separate Spaces". To understand Spaces, you need to look at Mission Control:

Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2020 12:20 PM in response to WAMiller

There are two very distinct ways to use multiple displays on your Mac. The oldest is called Extended Desktop. In this use-case, the displays are combined along an edge of your choosing into one extended desktop. The mouse moves freely across the boundary, and any window can be parked anywhere, including split across the virtual seam between displays, and scrolling the window scrolls both parts "the right way".

The other method is an outgrowth of and and a superset of Mission Control's multiple "Spaces" concept, where a working set of Apps are connected to a particular "Space" and every document used by that App will be opened and used in that space. Spaces can be moved in and out of the current display.

The extension of this concept to include Multiple displays is called "Displays have separate Spaces". To understand Spaces, you need to look at Mission Control:

Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 1, 2020 5:31 PM in response to WAMiller

There is no way to get your current setup to do what you asked except switch to multiple spaces and "Displays have Separate Spaces".

If you are using Extended Desktop, you are on that ONE great big Extended Desktop (implemented across your displays). As far as MacOS is concerned, there is no screen A and screen B.

That Is why I went to great lengths to describe how you COULD get a distinct screen A and screen B using a different way of thinking.

Oct 1, 2020 3:25 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I appreciate the response, but that doesn't really answer my question.

I'm using Extended Desktop Mode. Spaces and Mission Control isn't what I'm looking really to do because that requires me to keep multiple apps open at the same, which is something I don't prefer to do when I'm not actually using them.

What I'd like to happen is that if I'm on Screen A and I open an app, I want that app to open on Screen A. And if I'm over on Screen B and I open an app, I'd like that app to open on Screen B. That currently doesn't happen and I'd like to know if there's a way to get it to work the way I prefer. Thanks.

Oct 6, 2020 4:38 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

After using this 2nd display for a few days now, I think I've actually figured out why it seems to be acting so erratically....but it actually isn't. Turns out that when I open an app, it is opening on the same display that I previously used it on and then quit. So it's really just a matter of opening all of my apps, putting them on the display I plan to use them most frequently on, and then quit the app so that it will open on that same display the next time I need it. Not quite the perfect solution, but this should satisfy my needs like 90% of the time.

Thanks again for your responses, even though it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to try and help.

Oct 6, 2020 7:12 AM in response to WAMiller

The forums are really good at supporting brainstorming. If there were more divergent solutions, other Readers would have contributed their suggestions as well.

Oftens a 'solution' may not be exactly what we are looking for, but is the 'best available'. The idea is to keep the tool working for you, and not the other way around. It is not OK to allow the inanimate objects to win.

Using a Second Monitor w/MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.