Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone11 Notes app absolutely draining battery

On my iPhone 11, my notes app is draining my battery with background activity. Within the past day after 11 minutes of usage it ran in the background for 13 HOURS, despite background app refresh being turned off. I suspected it's because I'm using icloud notes but my other icloud apps like photos don't take nearly this much power. In the mean time I've moved my most frequently used notes to my local drive but I may switch to a 3rd party app altogether.

Background usage seems to have gone up particularly since I upgraded to ios 14. Any ideas what's causing this? are other people experiencing this?

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 7:51 AM

13 replies

Oct 5, 2020 11:42 AM in response to Allison_4

Actually yes though I'm not sure how I resolved it. I had a notes widget set up through the ios 14 upgrade, which is around when I started noticing my phone overheating/battery draining. I removed the widget and I took my most frequently used notes off of icloud sharing, and one of those seemed to resolve the issue. My guess right now is the widget caused it and seems to be a bug that came from the recent upgrade. I'm not sure what your situation is but hope that helps.

Oct 7, 2020 7:44 AM in response to blaise33

I had this same issue (maybe still be having this issue - too soon to tell), so I deleted all widgets except my calendar widget. Next day (which is today), my phone is getting super hot again, so I check battery usage and it says my Flashlight has been using my battery for 1h33m... I haven’t even turned it on! I don’t know what to do.

Dec 15, 2020 5:05 PM in response to blaise33

I have this same issue. My iPad battery is draining like crazy if I so much as touch the Notes app. I have a lot of notes in it, so I’m going to try and clean it out, but I’m not convinced it’ll help. Ever since I updated to iPadOS14 Notes runs in the background all the time, and everything else I’ve tried to lower battery consumption hasn’t helped. I like Notes, but if Apple doesn’t fix the background running even with background refresh off, then I may be forced to change apps and not use Notes anymore. I’m using an iPad Pro 10.5” running iPadOS 14.1. There’s a new update so I’m going to try that, but reading it doesn’t indicate anything that might fix this battery problem.

iPhone11 Notes app absolutely draining battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.