Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

30W USB-C ADAPTER performance

How fast will apple 30w usb-C adapter charges my ipad pro 11” (2018)? Is it worth buying apple 30w charger?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 3:09 AM

Your iPad Pro 11” supports USB-PD Fast Charging - it’s maximum supported charge rate being achieved using the supplied 18W Power Adapter.

The 30W Power Adapter is compatible with your iPad (I use personally use one all the time), but the iPad only charges at it’s maximum 18W rate (i.e., 12V @1.5A). I chose the 30W Power Adapter as I routinely use a Mophie 3XL PowerStation (also USB-PD compliant); the 30W Power Adapter charges both my iPad Pro at its maximum rate (18W) and the PowerStation at a much faster rate.

So, in conclusion, the 30W Power Adapter offers no tangible benefit for your iPad - but may offer flexibility of faster charging for other devices. If you have no need of a higher-rated Power Adapter, then the stock 18W Adapter will be both adequate and cheaper to purchase.

I hope this clarification is helpful in to you - and helps with making an informed decision as to usefulness for your specific needs.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2020 3:09 AM in response to saichand09

Your iPad Pro 11” supports USB-PD Fast Charging - it’s maximum supported charge rate being achieved using the supplied 18W Power Adapter.

The 30W Power Adapter is compatible with your iPad (I use personally use one all the time), but the iPad only charges at it’s maximum 18W rate (i.e., 12V @1.5A). I chose the 30W Power Adapter as I routinely use a Mophie 3XL PowerStation (also USB-PD compliant); the 30W Power Adapter charges both my iPad Pro at its maximum rate (18W) and the PowerStation at a much faster rate.

So, in conclusion, the 30W Power Adapter offers no tangible benefit for your iPad - but may offer flexibility of faster charging for other devices. If you have no need of a higher-rated Power Adapter, then the stock 18W Adapter will be both adequate and cheaper to purchase.

I hope this clarification is helpful in to you - and helps with making an informed decision as to usefulness for your specific needs.

Oct 7, 2020 5:27 PM in response to saichand09

Hi saichand09,

It seems you would like some help with fast charging, and we want to get you the info you need.

You can review the page regarding fast charging here:

Fast charge your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Your iPad Pro comes with an 18W fast charger in the box:

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) - Technical Specifications

If you were to get a larger charger, you could see an improvement in charging performance, but it isn't as dramatic a difference compared to the older USB chargers included with iPhone or older models of iPad. Those were normally 5W or 10W respectively.

Good luck.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Oct 7, 2020 9:08 PM in response to chris_g1

Hi chris,

Thank you for responding to my query!

Actually my stock ipad charger’s IC failed due to electricity fluctuation at my area. So, planning to buy a new one (30w) and i’ll be buying the new iphone 12 next month (heard that this time no charger is included in the box this year) so considered this thing to take the larger capacity charger. So, should i go ahead with the 30w?

Thank you in advance!

30W USB-C ADAPTER performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.