Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my MacBook Air seems to open up ok but just recently does not make the "start up" sound.

Why doesn't the MacBook Air make its usual startup sound. Mine just stopped doing that in the last couple days. Is that an issue?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 1:50 AM

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-

Axel F.

8 replies

Oct 6, 2020 6:28 PM in response to Axel Foley

Hi, and thanks, Axel--

I followed both of your suggestions; first #1 and then #2. The directions were good and I heard the startup sound twice. Next time I opened up: silence. So I ran #2 again, with the same result. This morning when I started up, more silence, even though my Mac turns on just fine.

So is my startup sound just history now? And why? Do I have to start up using NVRAM/PRAM each time to hear it? And--ultimately--I don't need to hear it. Yet, I'm mystified at its disappearance.

jan

Oct 6, 2020 6:48 PM in response to Curiouser2

Sorry Disregard. I am using another macOS. I should have double checked.

You should not be resetting NVRAM every time at boot up because the startup sound should stay there. You are right that it is not a big loss and probably something else that is interfering with that internal setting.

One thing to note that if your sound is muted by you (when you are using your computer) and then you shut it down without unmuting the sound then the start up sound will not sound. Can you double check to see whether that is happening? Thanks.

Axel F.

my MacBook Air seems to open up ok but just recently does not make the "start up" sound.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.