Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay 1&2

Is it possible to stream from a mac to an Airplay 1 and an Airplay 2 speakers at the same time?

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 10:20 AM

Hello Santosjfm,

If we're understanding you right, you want to know if it's possible to AirPlay audio from a Mac to two different speakers. Also, one of the speakers supports Airplay and the other supports AirPlay 2. We'd like to give you some information on this.

In order to AirPlay audio to multiple speakers each speaker would need to support AirPlay 2, so it would not be possible to AirPlay audio to both of your speakers at the same time. Here's some information on the system requirements for AirPlay: AirPlay system requirements.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2020 10:20 AM in response to Santosjfm

Hello Santosjfm,

If we're understanding you right, you want to know if it's possible to AirPlay audio from a Mac to two different speakers. Also, one of the speakers supports Airplay and the other supports AirPlay 2. We'd like to give you some information on this.

In order to AirPlay audio to multiple speakers each speaker would need to support AirPlay 2, so it would not be possible to AirPlay audio to both of your speakers at the same time. Here's some information on the system requirements for AirPlay: AirPlay system requirements.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Oct 9, 2020 6:25 AM in response to Corrie84

Hello Corrie84,

Thank you for the reply.

Actually I have been able to stream audio to multiple Airplay devices from my Mac since ever, not from iOS devices, but from iTunes on a Mac I had no problem so far. The trouble started when I added an Airplay 2 device to the system. I can still stream to multiple Airplay devices at the same time, but I can't add the Airplay 2 device at same time.

I attached a screen capture of this. I can't add the Samsung TV to the set. All of other devices are Airplay, not Airplay 2.

Best regards.

Oct 11, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Santosjfm

Santosjfm,

Thanks for responding back with those additional details. What you're experiencing would be expected behavior. While you can AirPlay audio directly to multiple speakers via iTunes or Apple Music, this would not work for all of your AirPlay devices since one of them is AirPlay 2 compatible and the others aren't. So essentially what we're saying is that your older AirPlay compatible devices can't be grouped with AirPlay 2 devices at the same time.

We recommend checking with the manufacturer of your devices to see if they have a firmware update available to make them support AirPlay 2 streaming.

Cheers!

Airplay 1&2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.