Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add more storage space

how do I add more storage. My iPad needs a update but I have no more storage.

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 3:52 AM

It isn’t possible to upgrade or extend the internal storage of your iPad. The internal storage configuration of your iPad is fixed during manufacture - and will be the same for the life of the iPad.

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

If you have insufficient storage space on your iPad for the update, you have no alternative other than to delete data or Apps to make space for the update. 

Depending upon how many Apps you have installed on your iPad, you may be able to “offload” rather than uninstall your Apps; this will cull the chosen App(s) - but leave the corresponding App data. This technique might provide sufficient additional space for the update, after which you can reinstall the App and nothing is lost.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

You may also find this support page to be helpful with strategies to create additional space on your iPad:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

If you are short of space this time around, you are going to have problems in the future - in particular with the imminent update from iPadOS13 to iPadOS14 anticipated to be available within the coming weeks. You might now wish to seriously consider some spring-cleaning and delete what you can from your iPad, or archive to cloud storage, to maintain update capability for your iPad. 

You would be well advised to always aim to keep 2-4GB of free space on your iPad.

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful in resolving the immediate problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2020 3:52 AM in response to magoze20

It isn’t possible to upgrade or extend the internal storage of your iPad. The internal storage configuration of your iPad is fixed during manufacture - and will be the same for the life of the iPad.

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

If you have insufficient storage space on your iPad for the update, you have no alternative other than to delete data or Apps to make space for the update. 

Depending upon how many Apps you have installed on your iPad, you may be able to “offload” rather than uninstall your Apps; this will cull the chosen App(s) - but leave the corresponding App data. This technique might provide sufficient additional space for the update, after which you can reinstall the App and nothing is lost.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

You may also find this support page to be helpful with strategies to create additional space on your iPad:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

If you are short of space this time around, you are going to have problems in the future - in particular with the imminent update from iPadOS13 to iPadOS14 anticipated to be available within the coming weeks. You might now wish to seriously consider some spring-cleaning and delete what you can from your iPad, or archive to cloud storage, to maintain update capability for your iPad. 

You would be well advised to always aim to keep 2-4GB of free space on your iPad.

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful in resolving the immediate problem.

How do I add more storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.