Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

storage on iphone

I only have 1,500 photos on my iphone but my storage says that the photo app is using 32gb. Is there any way i can fix this

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 7:13 AM

That looks like storage corruption. Before doing anything back up to iCloud, your computer or both—>How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

First thing to try is to update iOS—>Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and check storage again. If it looks the same restore the backup you just made—>Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2020 7:13 AM in response to thesecretmango

That looks like storage corruption. Before doing anything back up to iCloud, your computer or both—>How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

First thing to try is to update iOS—>Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and check storage again. If it looks the same restore the backup you just made—>Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Oct 3, 2020 8:28 AM in response to thesecretmango

if you go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Photos does it have any suggestions that might help?

ie, does it show the Recently Deleted Album with a lot of storage used?

is there a section that shows personal videos taking up a large amount of space?

or if you go into the Photos app Albums and go down to Media Types, how many videos do you have? Videos can take up a lot more space than pictures.. Also screenshot size can vary, often times larger than a photo.

Oct 3, 2020 12:44 PM in response to thesecretmango

What do you call a short video? I just did some poking around in my photos.. I'd consider a short video maybe 15-20 seconds? A video of this length for me is ~30MB. So 300 such videos could easily take up 9 or more of those 32 GB.

I agree that 32 GB sounds a little high for what you're telling us, but it's impossible to evaluate without knowing exactly what all you have for media types.

Have you recently deleted a bunch of photos/videos? If you go to the Photos app, select Albums at the bottom.. and then scroll all the way down to the bottom you should have a selection called Recently Deleted. How many items are in that? This album will hang onto your deleted items for 30 days.

If there is a bunch of stuff here you can empty this album to try and save some space by tapping Select in the upper right and then in the lower left tap Delete All.

storage on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.