Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 6--How do I Increase the Amount of Storage Dedicated for Media?

Just bought a new Apple Watch 6, I previously owned a Series 4. One of the reasons I upgraded was because of the increased storage space available on the Series 6. However, when I try to add music, I get the "Out of Media Storage"* banner. I currently have 7GB used for music, but 16GB is still available on the watch. Not sure what else for what I would use that extra space, other than music. So, my question is how do I increase the amount of storage dedicated for media?

*the full message: "Out of Media Storage. The storage space dedicated to media on your Apple Watch is full. To make space available, you can remove some podcasts, music, or audiobooks."

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 4:21 PM

There's no such option and there's never been. This alert never appeared before watchOS 7 so it's clearly a new "feature". It's quite ridiculous, I have more than 19 GB free space, but I can't add any more playlists. What is all that space for then? Me wonders.

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 25, 2020 5:52 PM in response to Shinova

So frustrating! 17.2 GB of dead space.

I’ve purchased all of my music through iTunes and yet I can’t load it on my watch.

This is not the way to “entice” me to subscribe to Apple Music. I feel like Apple is taking advantage of my decade long loyalty (iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, iPods. MacMini, Apple Watch). Maybe now is a good time to switch to another platform and try out Android.

Oct 8, 2020 3:32 PM in response to Shinova

Hi there Shinova,

Thanks for posting your question. It's always good to have more music available. We see you want to know how to increase the space allocated for media on your Apple Watch, and we're glad to show you how.

You should find that option on your paired iPhone by opening the Apple Watch app, and then looking under My Watch > Music > Storage Limit.

Let us know if that works.

Cheers.

Apple Watch 6--How do I Increase the Amount of Storage Dedicated for Media?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.