Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook stuck at OSX 10.8.5

Hello, I recently rebooted an old MacBook and erased the drive then had to go in recover mode.

Now I am stuck with an older OS and unable to make any updates.

I do have another MacBook with an updated OS, is there a way to save the os and transfer it to the older MacBook?

Alternatively, how can I fix this problem?

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 4:19 AM

What is the older MacBook Pro model/year? and What macOS version you intend to upgrade?

If you have hardware or software that isn't compatible with macOS Catalina, you might be able to upgrade to macOS Mojave.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Other ways to install macOS:

create a bootable installer disk, then use that disk to install macOS on your Mac or another Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2020 4:19 AM in response to lebmac

What is the older MacBook Pro model/year? and What macOS version you intend to upgrade?

If you have hardware or software that isn't compatible with macOS Catalina, you might be able to upgrade to macOS Mojave.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Other ways to install macOS:

create a bootable installer disk, then use that disk to install macOS on your Mac or another Mac.

Oct 4, 2020 6:45 AM in response to Sharhari

Thanks, the laptop I am trying to upgrade is MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012).

I hope I can update to the most recent version without having an issue running most applications.

I will opt for the bootable installer, but is there a way to save a current OS I am already using on another laptop?

When I am trying to download a certain version I am afraid it will apply to the laptop I am not trying to fix (which is fine as it is now).

MacBook stuck at OSX 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.