Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cannot find internal SSD macbook early 2016

Hi, i have a big big problem ... after updating my macbook early 2016 (A1534) all i can see is a question mark folder... i used command +R to get in disk utility and all i can see is “Apple disk image “ and down OS X Base System ...it looks like my internal ssd cannot be found at all ! I cannot see it even in terminal . I can turn on my laptop just with a bootable usb ... does anyone know what has happened?

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 4:49 PM

You can use an external drive, but you won't be able to upgrade to a newer version of macOS since the system firmware installer contained within the macOS installer requires a properly partitioned and formatted internal drive. I'm not sure if you can install the current OS onto an external drive for the same reasons. If you have access to another Mac, then you can create an external macOS drive if you don't already have one (assuming you use an OS compatible with both systems). Keep in mind your system firmware will be out of date by doing this and I don't know if it will have any negative side effects to macOS.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2020 4:49 PM in response to deya16

You can use an external drive, but you won't be able to upgrade to a newer version of macOS since the system firmware installer contained within the macOS installer requires a properly partitioned and formatted internal drive. I'm not sure if you can install the current OS onto an external drive for the same reasons. If you have access to another Mac, then you can create an external macOS drive if you don't already have one (assuming you use an OS compatible with both systems). Keep in mind your system firmware will be out of date by doing this and I don't know if it will have any negative side effects to macOS.

Oct 4, 2020 1:41 PM in response to HWTech

I was watching some videos about that but nothing else has failed... what i’ve seen was someone replacing a small “fuse” that didn’t make the contact with Ssd🤷🏼‍♀️ I really want to find out if one of the ppbuss has failed or the ssd ... and how that can be possible just trying to update a software?

Oct 4, 2020 7:43 PM in response to deya16

If you are looking for that type of low level board repair, then you are on the wrong forums. Most users here will have no clue about that and the moderators will most likely edit or even remove any posts (I've had many less "dangerous" posts removed). You should view or even post on the forums of the maker of those videos have for assistance (I'm assuming it is LR videos-- I'm not being more specific as it will likely be removed).

i cannot find internal SSD macbook early 2016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.