Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The voicemail icon is always showing a red dot that never goes away

I have an iPhone 7 software version 13.7.

When I go to the home screen then click on the green phone icon, I see the voicemail icon in the lower right and it has a red dot on it which indicates that I have a voicemail message. But the problem is that the red dot indicator (badge?) is always there... it never goes away when I have listened to all my voicemail messages, it is still there when there are no voicemail messages, even after I reset my phone.

I am asking the community if anyone knows a way to reset it on my iPhone so that the red dot only appears next to the voicemail icon when there is a voicemail message waiting.

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 11:04 PM

Hi,

I’m by no means qualified to answer your question this evening but I will still attempt to help by suggesting a work-around for time being.

I’ve experienced similar bugs on previous generations of iOS.

Have you tried deleting all audio recordings that are currently stored in your phones Voicemail?

View Voicemails and select “Edit”

Select all current audio messages that are stored in your phones Voicemail and delete them from your Voicemail home UI.

This can be achieved by simply tapping the empty bubble left of the Contact’s name so that the message is highlighted grey and then selecting the blue text at the bottom right-hand side of the screen that says “Delete”.

If done correctly your Voicemail inbox should appear to empty at first glance. In the event you find yourself deleting a Voicemail you did not intended to remove, don’t worry.

You can always restore the recently removed Voicemails as shown below.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2020 11:04 PM in response to clowdnyne

Hi,

I’m by no means qualified to answer your question this evening but I will still attempt to help by suggesting a work-around for time being.

I’ve experienced similar bugs on previous generations of iOS.

Have you tried deleting all audio recordings that are currently stored in your phones Voicemail?

View Voicemails and select “Edit”

Select all current audio messages that are stored in your phones Voicemail and delete them from your Voicemail home UI.

This can be achieved by simply tapping the empty bubble left of the Contact’s name so that the message is highlighted grey and then selecting the blue text at the bottom right-hand side of the screen that says “Delete”.

If done correctly your Voicemail inbox should appear to empty at first glance. In the event you find yourself deleting a Voicemail you did not intended to remove, don’t worry.

You can always restore the recently removed Voicemails as shown below.

Oct 9, 2020 3:40 PM in response to clowdnyne

Hello clowdnyne,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to get rid of notification for voicemail in the Phone app on your iPhone. To help with this, please Make sure your iPhone is up to date, as the updates contain stability fixes that can resolve issues like yours, as well as important security updates to keep your iPhone safe.

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Cheers!

The voicemail icon is always showing a red dot that never goes away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.