Newsroom Update

This fall, AirPods software updates will transform the way users respond to Siri, take calls, and immerse themselves in their favorite games. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I remove one of my AirPods the music pauses and does not start up again. I have to put it back in my ear to have the music start again.

I read where the If you remove one AirPod the music will momentarily pause and then start again with the remaining AirPod in the ear. However, when I remove one AirPod the music pauses and doesn’t start again until I put it back in my ear. Is something wrong with my AirPods or do I need to change a setting somewhere? This is my first time with AirPods. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 5:23 AM

If I have Automatic Ear Detection turned on, it states that if I remove just one AirPod it will momentarily pause and then resume in the remaining AirPod in my ear. That is not what happens with mine. If I remove one of two, it just stops playing and doesn’t resume. They only way I can get it To resume is if I have Automatic Ear Detection off. This seem to be different than what Apple says is supposed to happen.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2020 5:23 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

If I have Automatic Ear Detection turned on, it states that if I remove just one AirPod it will momentarily pause and then resume in the remaining AirPod in my ear. That is not what happens with mine. If I remove one of two, it just stops playing and doesn’t resume. They only way I can get it To resume is if I have Automatic Ear Detection off. This seem to be different than what Apple says is supposed to happen.

Oct 4, 2020 8:44 PM in response to jimgolfer4

Turn Automatic Ear Detection on or off

By default, AirPods sense when they're in your ear and receive the audio from your device. AirPods also pause and resume playback when you remove one of your AirPods, or stop playback—and won't resume—when you remove both. When you have Automatic Ear Detection on and you're not wearing your AirPods, audio plays through your device's speakers.

When you turn off Automatic Ear Detection, these features are off and all audio plays to your AirPods whether or not you're wearing them.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207009

When I remove one of my AirPods the music pauses and does not start up again. I have to put it back in my ear to have the music start again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.