Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color/exposure changes not restricted to draw mask

I made a « draw mask», but when I change the exposure or color, the entire frame is changed, not just what is inside the mask. Bug or am I doing something wrong?

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 4:11 PM

10 replies

Oct 5, 2020 3:42 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom, this solved part of the problem. Yet I have another one. I drew the mask animation in an adjustment layer and it still did not work. So I copied the effects of the adjustment layer in the clip. Then the masking worked: the background from the underlying clip was shown. However the mask animation had not been properly copied. There was an old mask animation there, see pictures.

I repeated it, I closed FCP and restarted the iMac but it sill does it. What is wrong?

Oct 4, 2020 4:50 PM in response to yvesbfromdeu

I have no idea what you're trying to do -- you have adjustment layers all over the place.

Effects on a clip are **layer ordered**. If you want to limit the color correction to just the area of the draw mask (which should be cutting away unwanted portions of your clip), then apply the color correction **after** the draw mask. In FCPX, that means you should drag the color correction down below the draw mask effect. It should then only apply to the region of the draw mask.

You can simply click on the label bar (name) of the Color Board (or whatever version you're using) and drag it below the draw mask. (It needs to be applied to the same clip as the Draw Mask... not a separate clip).

Color/exposure changes not restricted to draw mask

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.