Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silabs kernal incompatible with Catalina

I have a warning about a Silabs program being potentially incompatible with a future system upgrade. Is this important and what should I do, if so? Uninstall these? Or?

And if it is a thing I must contact another entity, anyone know who or what? I am an baffled person who does get under the hood of my devices if I can help it. :/ I have the impression that kernal things are not for messing with by people like me.

These are the files I could find from SiLabs

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 7:34 AM

Those drivers are used for a USB device, and that dialog is informing you that they will not be compatible with a future macOS version. If you need that USB device and have not obtained updated software for it yet you will need to obtain updated software from the product developer.

Refer to this excerpt from About legacy system extensions - Apple Support:

"Legacy system extensions and the apps that rely on them continue to work today. But now is a good time to contact the developer to learn whether an updated version of their software is available or planned. The developer can also explain how to remove or disable the extension, and the consequences of doing so."

The developer in this case is Silicon Labs. Read KEXT incompatible with a future version of macOS?

If you no longer use that device you need to do nothing. Those .kext files will not load in future macOS versions. They will become inert and that dialog will no longer appear.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2020 7:34 AM in response to CBColem

Those drivers are used for a USB device, and that dialog is informing you that they will not be compatible with a future macOS version. If you need that USB device and have not obtained updated software for it yet you will need to obtain updated software from the product developer.

Refer to this excerpt from About legacy system extensions - Apple Support:

"Legacy system extensions and the apps that rely on them continue to work today. But now is a good time to contact the developer to learn whether an updated version of their software is available or planned. The developer can also explain how to remove or disable the extension, and the consequences of doing so."

The developer in this case is Silicon Labs. Read KEXT incompatible with a future version of macOS?

If you no longer use that device you need to do nothing. Those .kext files will not load in future macOS versions. They will become inert and that dialog will no longer appear.

Silabs kernal incompatible with Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.