Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook App: login error an unexpected error occurred. please try logging in again

Facebook deactivated my 12+ year old account without explaining or any communication or response to me. I created a new account on Safari on my iPhone, but when I try to use the iOS Facebook app I get the error “login error an unexpected error occurred. please try logging in again”. This was posted last year and one person kept repeating “This isn’t an Apple problem, you need to contact Facebook”. The problem with this non-solution answer is that Facebook only gets the device identifying information Apple allows. Apple has been the best company for user privacy, but allowing Facebook to ban a phone using mine or my phone’s data contradicts that. Even if this is normal and consented to, Apple should offer an opinion to delete or reset this data if not blocking it completely. Is there a solution to this other than contacting Facebook?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 4:27 PM

I have had the exact same issue! Facebook deactivated my account as well in July. I've determined I was hacked. It was linked to my instagram which was also locked out and I caught my twitter account before the hacker had changed the password. But they had changed the persons name, email, address and phone number just kept my sign in username. The person was a Russian female with Russian address and phone! I can only assume that this was the same person who hacked my facebook. I've been trying to get my facebook account back ever since. When I tried signing on with a different email, it linked to my mobile number and locked me out there as well. Finally I was able to get a new Facebook account with a new email address, changing my birth date and my name slightly and not listing my mobile #. I can now sign in from my computer, and my mobile Safari browser, but NOT from the Facebook app. I tried cleaning out the cache and cookies, but still get this same message from the app. Reinstalled the app- made no difference. I did download the Facebook LTE and had no problem signing in...so I do think there is a cache I was not able to erase on my phone which does make it an apple communication issue. I would like to find an answer!!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2020 4:27 PM in response to jsondon77

I have had the exact same issue! Facebook deactivated my account as well in July. I've determined I was hacked. It was linked to my instagram which was also locked out and I caught my twitter account before the hacker had changed the password. But they had changed the persons name, email, address and phone number just kept my sign in username. The person was a Russian female with Russian address and phone! I can only assume that this was the same person who hacked my facebook. I've been trying to get my facebook account back ever since. When I tried signing on with a different email, it linked to my mobile number and locked me out there as well. Finally I was able to get a new Facebook account with a new email address, changing my birth date and my name slightly and not listing my mobile #. I can now sign in from my computer, and my mobile Safari browser, but NOT from the Facebook app. I tried cleaning out the cache and cookies, but still get this same message from the app. Reinstalled the app- made no difference. I did download the Facebook LTE and had no problem signing in...so I do think there is a cache I was not able to erase on my phone which does make it an apple communication issue. I would like to find an answer!!

Facebook App: login error an unexpected error occurred. please try logging in again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.