Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor

I recently bought a 16" MBP 32G, which I would like to use with an external monitor when I'm at home.

I have an AOC 24" Widescreen monitor that I got in 2015, which I have for the past 3 years been using as an external monitor with my 2017 27" imac (16G), using a Belkin USB-c VGA adapter.

It occurred to me that I might be able to plug it into my mbp. Why, you might ask,? Because I have Parallels installed on it to run a specialty program I need for my work.

However, when I tried to plug & play using the VGA adapter, the screen goes blank on the mbp and the AOC monitor flashes once "No signal" and then stays blank.

I went through all Apple's troubleshooting steps, including restarting the MBP with the monitor plugged into it. Same issue. If I unplug the monitor, the Mbp works fine. When I plug it back into the imac, it works fine. I can't troubleshoot while the monitor is plugged into the mbp because, obviously, the screens stay blank.

Is it the adapter?

Is the monitor not compatible with the Mbp?

I am willing to get a new monitor, but only if I can't figure out a cheaper solution in a timely fashion.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 10:13 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 8, 2020 11:49 AM in response to phoebedeheron

I doubt it's Mouse or KB.

Display

Retina display

16‑inch (diagonal) LED‑backlit display with IPS technology; 3072‑by‑1920 native resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors

Supported scaled resolutions:

• 2048 by 1280
  • 1792 by 1120
  • 1344 by 840
  • 1152 by 720

500 nits brightness

Wide color (P3)

True Tone technology

Refresh rates: 47.95Hz, 48.00Hz, 50.00Hz, 59.94Hz, 60.00Hz

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• Up to two displays with 6016‑by‑3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors or
  • Up to four displays with 4096‑by‑2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

My only uneducated guess would be Cable.

Oct 27, 2020 3:57 PM in response to BDAqua

I had to get a new external monitor anyhow so I made sure I got one that had an HDMI port. Then I got an HDMI to USB-c cable (referenced by BDAqua above) so I didn't have to use any adapters (I actually tried using the other cable with an adapter & had the same issue). As soon as I powered up after connecting the new cable, everything worked. I am now a very happy camper.

External monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.