Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exposure Notifications battery usage

On iPhone 6S, IoS 13.7, the battery usage is showing Exposure Notifications as using 23% - 35%. For me this is way to high. (Using the UK NHS Covid-19 app).

What do others experience?

Is there any way to reduce it? (Apple action please!)

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 3:06 AM

Same here, iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14.2. Apple support diagnotics showed nothing wrong.

For me, the battery drains even when the phone is being charged -making it go all empty, shutting down, charing while off, only then booting up again.

12 replies

Mar 5, 2021 10:44 AM in response to Bloc_the_ap

11% for me over 10 days on a 6s with 89% battery health & NHS app.

%-age over the short hour-chunks metric kinda depends how much I use the phone though. If I rinse the battery with lots of other apps, exposures will be a small % relative. If I barly touch my phone the battery will last loads longer, but exposures will account for a higher percentage of it.

It's 7% over the last 24 hours. Breaking it into little chunks it's 33% of one hour I did nothing with my phone. But only 2% during my lunch hour when I was cycling and Komoot+permanently on screen (using 98%) rinsed over half my battery til the phone died. So it's not like 33% means it used 33% of my battery. Just 33% of the very few mAh my phone used during that time, or 2% of the lots of mAh it used in that other window.

So yeah, it's definitely taking a chunk out my battery overall, but the "percentage" can be misleading short-term, and is only 7%-11% of total battery over 24hrs or 10 days. But I guess that's the price I pay to be scanning far more often for nearby devices. Hard for Apple to do much I guess, can't beat the physics that using a battery to generate RF power and communicate with stuff far more often is inherently unavoidable, other than tell you to buy a new phone with bigger battery and lower power consumption.

Is your 33% over a short or long period, and how much are you using other apps and stuff? If your phone is mostly idle then it'll be a big user percentage-wise, if you're using your phone a lot and it still counts for 33% then I guess omething sounds wrong, or you're having a massive lockdown disco with hundreds of people exchanging data! :)

Since there's a lockdown at the mo, I'm half tempted to turn it off unless going to the shops or somewhere with untraceable people. Unfortuantely that deletes the logs though, so if I have been exposed I guess I don't find out if the logs are gone? Or does it still work with the logs cleared and only needs them temporarily?

Mar 23, 2021 6:01 PM in response to klouded

Me too. On an iPhone 11 and iOS 14.4.1, Exposure Notifications was using 34%. I don’t know how long this has been happening. My ‘phone has started needing recharging more frequently recently, but I only picked up on this problem when an unrelated issue made me check battery usage. I felt there was no choice but to switch it off.

Mar 23, 2021 6:09 PM in response to MagicalPippin

MagicalPippin wrote:

11% for me over 10 days on a 6s with 89% battery health & NHS app.

%-age over the short hour-chunks metric kinda depends how much I use the phone though. If I rinse the battery with lots of other apps, exposures will be a small % relative. If I barly touch my phone the battery will last loads longer, but exposures will account for a higher percentage of it.

Here’s why: The percentage shown for an app is the relative percentage of the total energy that was drained from the battery, not the energy used from the battery. So if your battery usage is very low the usage of any app will be larger as a portion of the total usage.

Suppose your total battery energy used for the period was 20% (leaving 80% in the battery), and your notification app shows 10%. But that’s 10% of 20% or only 2% of the total energy drained from the battery used by the notification app.

Mar 23, 2021 6:14 PM in response to Round-Xxx

Round-Xxx wrote:

Me too. On an iPhone 11 and iOS 14.4.1, Exposure Notifications was using 34%. I don’t know how long this has been happening. My ‘phone has started needing recharging more frequently recently, but I only picked up on this problem when an unrelated issue made me check battery usage. I felt there was no choice but to switch it off.

No, Exposure Notifications did not use 34% of your battery’s energy. It used 34% of whatever the total battery usage was. You didn’t say what your total usage was, but suppose your battery was at 70% at the end of 24 hours. Thus, 30% of the battery’s energy was used by everything on the phone. So the Exposure Notification app used 34% of 30%, meaning that it used 10% of your battery’s total energy. This is approximate, because if you charged the battery during that time some of the energy used by Exposure Notifications came from the mains, and not from the battery.

Exposure Notifications battery usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.