Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Family Sharing Setup Fails after Photo Album Step

I am attempting to setup an Apple Watch with Family Sharing. Each time I go through the setup process, after answering the question for Photo Album (step #8 in this guide https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768), the setup process hangs. I see the spinning wheel for 35-60 minutes, then I receive an error message that says "Pairing Failed". I have attempted this >10 times. It fails on the same step, every single time.

I have gone through 3 levels of Apple remote support (Chat, Call-in Tier 1, Call-In Level 2), the Apple Genius bar, and the watch was sent in for diagnostics, and still have the same issue.

I have tried iPhones assigned to each parent.

I have tried different child accounts.

I have tried changing the answers in the setup process.

I have even purchased another Apple Watch to rule out the current watch being an issue. No change.

iPhone 11 Pro and 8 Plus, both running iOS 14.0.1

Apple Watch 4 Apple Watch SE running Apple WatchOS 7.0.1

Anyone have advice? Thanks.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 10:33 AM

The issue has been resolved, but I am unsure of the exact fix. I decided to try creating a new iCloud account to see if there was an issue with my child's current account. However, I discovered I could not create another account in Family Sharing. I opened a case with Apple Support that was escalated to an engineer. They would not provide me the exact fix, but when testing with me prior to resolution, it was discovered there was an issue with the Media and Purchase settings on the Family Share account. When Apple Support made their "fix"", not only was I able to add a new account to Family Sharing, I was also able to complete the setup process to add the watch to my child's existing account.

I also found this thread after my issue was resolved. It suggests turning on iCloud contacts will resolve a similar issue of getting hung on after the Photo Album step: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251851886

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2020 10:33 AM in response to SDITSPT

The issue has been resolved, but I am unsure of the exact fix. I decided to try creating a new iCloud account to see if there was an issue with my child's current account. However, I discovered I could not create another account in Family Sharing. I opened a case with Apple Support that was escalated to an engineer. They would not provide me the exact fix, but when testing with me prior to resolution, it was discovered there was an issue with the Media and Purchase settings on the Family Share account. When Apple Support made their "fix"", not only was I able to add a new account to Family Sharing, I was also able to complete the setup process to add the watch to my child's existing account.

I also found this thread after my issue was resolved. It suggests turning on iCloud contacts will resolve a similar issue of getting hung on after the Photo Album step: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251851886

Apple Watch Family Sharing Setup Fails after Photo Album Step

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.