Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID not working on iPad Air 2 after upgrading to iOS 14

Touch ID not working on iPad Air 2 after upgrading to iOS 14 or 14.1

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 1:39 AM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2020 1:52 AM in response to arktype

That would be an update to iPadOS 14.0.1.

Perhaps you could better describe “not working”. What happens when you try to access and set-up TouchID is settings? What errors do you see?

Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple Community

A forced-restart of the iPad will often resolve an isolated issue that occurs after a system update:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Further troubleshooting guidance for TouchID issues can be found here:

If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

Oct 8, 2020 2:54 AM in response to LotusPilot

Yes, my updated software is 14.0.1.

I see no errors and I can set up TouchID with one or two fingerprints but after logging in

for the third or fourth time TouchID will not turn the operating system on and I am forced to type in my password. The home button is clean and I have tried the hard reset but this does not solve the problem.

One self-help website recommended after a hard reset not helping is to perform a system

reset.

Oct 8, 2020 3:16 AM in response to arktype

The behaviour that you describe might suggest that the TouchID sensor and the OS are functioning normally - but your fingerprint may not be consistently read by the sensor.

A common cause of this problem can be due to grease or natural oils that are produced by your skin - or, if using barrier cream or moisturiser.

I have noted myself that difficulties can occur after using cleaning-gels during the current pandemic - after which I have had to sometimes had difficulties with my fingerprints being recognised, requiring that the fingerprint must be re-registered.

Climatic conditions can also cause issues, in particular when humidity is high.

Touch ID not working on iPad Air 2 after upgrading to iOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.