Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV Gen4 HD and home sharing with OS 10.13 iTunes 12.8.2.3

Have been using AppleTV 3rd gen for years to play from my desktop iTunes library for movies and music, using home sharing. Bought a new AppleTV 4th gen HD 32Gb to 'upgrade'. While it looks lovely and works just fine streaming netflix and amazon prime, it cannot see or access the shared library. Error is 'no libraries found'. AppleTV 4th gen is using the same ethernet connection the 3rd gen uses successfully. Swap back with 3rd gen -- works perfectly.

Yes, I've restarted all devices, including all network components. And I've re-entered my home sharing library credentials.

The 4th gen is running tvOS 14.0.2

The 3rd gen AppleTV is running AppleTV OS 7.6

iTunes shared library runs on a MacMini is running OS 10.13.6

iTunes 12.8.2.3

Is there a known or published incompatibility between the 'newer' OS products and things a few years older? Sharing local libraries would seem simple and not subject to OS creep and planned obsolescence.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 6:30 PM

It works fine with tvOS 14.0.2 and computers with slightly-less-than-current versions macOS. You must be missing a setting somewhere. One of my computers shares from 10.12 Sierra.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Your swap suggests that likely one of the missing settings is on the Apple TV box, not on the computer.

Verify the separate field for the account for Home Sharing in Settings﹥Users and Accounts﹥. It should match the account that is set for Home Sharing in iTunes on the computer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 6:30 PM in response to After Hours

It works fine with tvOS 14.0.2 and computers with slightly-less-than-current versions macOS. You must be missing a setting somewhere. One of my computers shares from 10.12 Sierra.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Your swap suggests that likely one of the missing settings is on the Apple TV box, not on the computer.

Verify the separate field for the account for Home Sharing in Settings﹥Users and Accounts﹥. It should match the account that is set for Home Sharing in iTunes on the computer.

AppleTV Gen4 HD and home sharing with OS 10.13 iTunes 12.8.2.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.