Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I manually backed up my iphone photos in an icloud drive folder, but now they have downloaded ....

I manually backed up my iphone photos in an icloud drive folder, but now they have downloaded into the icloud drive folder on my phone, taking up double the storage. I don't want the docs/photos on icloud drive to be on my phone as well. how do i solve this problem?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 8:38 PM

I understand your question however you may not like my answer. iCloud for Photos and iCloud Drive work the same way and that is that iCloud is a synch service and not an archiving service. In other words, data on your iPhone is also kept on iCloud for the purpose of synching the data to all your other devices signed on the same Apple ID. This also means that if you delete data (A photo or a file) on your iPhone then it also gets deleted on iCloud (and vice versa). You are not going to be able to use iCloud as an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone.

Third party apps, for example, Google Photos and Microsoft's OneDrive will accomplish what you are looking for. These apps will allow you to offload data from your iPhone and store it on their servers.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 8:38 PM in response to jcpouf

I understand your question however you may not like my answer. iCloud for Photos and iCloud Drive work the same way and that is that iCloud is a synch service and not an archiving service. In other words, data on your iPhone is also kept on iCloud for the purpose of synching the data to all your other devices signed on the same Apple ID. This also means that if you delete data (A photo or a file) on your iPhone then it also gets deleted on iCloud (and vice versa). You are not going to be able to use iCloud as an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone.

Third party apps, for example, Google Photos and Microsoft's OneDrive will accomplish what you are looking for. These apps will allow you to offload data from your iPhone and store it on their servers.

Axel F.

I manually backed up my iphone photos in an icloud drive folder, but now they have downloaded ....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.