Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every SMS I send from my iPhone is sent as an iMessage

My son and daughter-in-law share an Apple account So every SMS I send from my iPhone is sent as an iMessage, if I turn off iMessage will that stop my SMS going to both phones, there are times you just want a private conversation

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 10:30 PM

No. Even if you turn OFF iMessages and send an SMS then both of them will still receive the Messages. This is because both of them are sharing the same Apple ID and therefore have the Messages app setup to send and receive from both of their individual phone numbers. In the interest of a private conversation, my recommendation is that you just call the person due to the current setup of their iPhones.

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 10:30 PM in response to Blister59

No. Even if you turn OFF iMessages and send an SMS then both of them will still receive the Messages. This is because both of them are sharing the same Apple ID and therefore have the Messages app setup to send and receive from both of their individual phone numbers. In the interest of a private conversation, my recommendation is that you just call the person due to the current setup of their iPhones.

Axel F.

Oct 8, 2020 12:08 AM in response to Blister59

It is recommended that they use different Apple IDs. Nevertheless there is another way to avoid SMS / iMessages being sent to both their iPhones.

This needs to be done at their end. (Especially on the iPhone who has enabled "Forward Text Messages") Read below

1. Set up text message forwarding
    1. On their iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
    2. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone.

Disable the other iPhone on this screen.

*Note: this needs to be done on Bothe devices if they both have activated Text Message Forwarding.

Every SMS I send from my iPhone is sent as an iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.