Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut + Motion

I am tying to save a custom title to use in multiple projects. I was reading that you need motion to do this. From FCPX, right click, send to motion etc. I installed motion but do not see that option (or any motion menus) in Final Cut. I have restarted and installed the additional templates it asks you to, etc.

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 11:24 AM

There are several things you can do.

a) You can reuse that same compound clip. Drag it to the timeline whenever you want. Just be aware that all copies of the compound will be the same, unless you take care of it. Uf you want to make changes, you either have to do Clip->Reference New Parent Clip, or, perhaps easier, you just do Break Apart Clip Items and you get the title and generator separately.

b) You can use Motion to actually make this into a new title. How easy depends on how you are using that generator.

Let's assume a simple case: the generator is just a rectangle behind the text to separate it from the video in the background.

You control-click the title and just add the rectangle in Motion. Save as new title and there you have it.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2020 11:24 AM in response to bsurfm

There are several things you can do.

a) You can reuse that same compound clip. Drag it to the timeline whenever you want. Just be aware that all copies of the compound will be the same, unless you take care of it. Uf you want to make changes, you either have to do Clip->Reference New Parent Clip, or, perhaps easier, you just do Break Apart Clip Items and you get the title and generator separately.

b) You can use Motion to actually make this into a new title. How easy depends on how you are using that generator.

Let's assume a simple case: the generator is just a rectangle behind the text to separate it from the video in the background.

You control-click the title and just add the rectangle in Motion. Save as new title and there you have it.

Oct 8, 2020 11:10 AM in response to bsurfm

You can do that with any of the templates (that is, any titles, generators, transitions or effects).

Just select one of them - for example, "Basic Title", control-click and choose Open a copy in Motion.

From there you can make changes, save with a new name and category, and it will be visible in FCP.

You can also start a new template from scratch in Motion, but it is probably easier to start as I described above.

Note that some templates are very complex. It is better to start off with a fairly simple one like Basic Title.

Oct 8, 2020 11:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Click the Titles and Generators browser button:

You can twirl open the disclosure triangles to see every category of titles, for example; enter text in the search box to restrict to only those with matching names, and more.

It looks like you are beginning with FCP, as well as Motion.

A good tutorial may help immensely. I strongly recommend the one at izzyvideo. It's free, and excellent.

Oct 8, 2020 11:23 AM in response to bsurfm

After a second restart, I see when you right click from the titles menu (not in the story line) I now get the Motion option. BUT, what I rally need to know is if I create a template from 2 pieces a ttile and a generated title (a lower 3rds). and use that throughout multiple projects. I would need to change the name of each one while editing for each different person on screen.

Final Cut + Motion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.