Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to eliminate iphoto event albums

a long time ago i created some albums per event, i only had about 500 pictures back then. Eventually too many pictures and i stopped creating albums for my pictures but ive had those albums on my iphone for a long time. its annoying because sometimes an app will require a picture from my iphone and i have to look for the picture thru those albums.

Anyway i just noticed those albums in My Albums > iPhoto Events in the macos Photos app. Can I get rid of those albums WITHOUT DELETING THE PICTURES of course?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 1:57 AM

Yes you can. Albums don't hold the original file - effectively they are just a list of photos to show in the album.

Just to demonstrate, I created a test album and added some pictures, then deleted it - this is the dialog you get.

2 replies

Oct 9, 2020 4:00 AM in response to marciokoko

Tony is right - deleting an album will not delete delete the photos inside.

To get rid of all albums in the iPhoto Events folder, you can simple ctrl-click the folder in the sidebar in Photos on You Mac and delete the folder. It will delete all albums inside at once.

One caution, however. If you like to use smart albums and want to create smart albums to check for photos in albums with the rule "Album is not Any", you should remove the photos from the albums before deleting the albums. There is a current bug in photos 5 on Catalina, that will prevent the "Album is not Any" rule from working, if you delete albums without removing the photos from the album before you delete them.

Problems with the Smart Album Rule: Album is not Any in Photos 5.0 - Apple Community

How to eliminate iphoto event albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.