Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac will not boot. It is hung up on a grey screen with the apple logo and login. When I type in password, it starts the boot process but shuts down after a period of time before the booting.

Any ideas on how to boot a mac that keeps shutting down in the process before completing the boot cycle. I have a grey screen and the apple logo at log in and when I log in, it will not complete the boot cycle. I have tried the diagnostics and found nothing, no issues found.

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 9:39 AM

See if you can boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

If that fails boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility, repair the disk and try a reboot.

If it still fails, reboot into the Recovery volume and reinstall the system. This will not remove any of your personal data files.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2020 9:39 AM in response to stimmons53

See if you can boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

If that fails boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility, repair the disk and try a reboot.

If it still fails, reboot into the Recovery volume and reinstall the system. This will not remove any of your personal data files.

My Mac will not boot. It is hung up on a grey screen with the apple logo and login. When I type in password, it starts the boot process but shuts down after a period of time before the booting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.