You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

terminal commands

I am aware of the Terminal command to change the Screen Capture default from png to jpg.

"defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg"........

Does anyone know what parameter to add as a percentage ? Similar to the slider, JPEG Format indicating "Quality" from Least to Best.

Example:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type 50% jpg

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 1:38 PM

I've not found a way do set the size in Screenshot's preference file. However, I've created an Automator app that resizes the file when it's dropped on it. I keep it in the Dock:

I've set it to 71% due to the Retina display having more pixels per inch than regular monitors. This gets the image down to what is seen on the screen.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2020 1:38 PM in response to rphillipchuk

I've not found a way do set the size in Screenshot's preference file. However, I've created an Automator app that resizes the file when it's dropped on it. I keep it in the Dock:

I've set it to 71% due to the Retina display having more pixels per inch than regular monitors. This gets the image down to what is seen on the screen.

Oct 11, 2020 3:34 PM in response to rphillipchuk

The actual command-line screencapture tool does not provide a switch argument to adjust the quality when choosing jpg images, so there won't be a resource for that in the defaults syntax either.

However, I just took a screen shot of some of the text in your post above, and output to test.jpg on my Desktop. When I ran ImageMagick's identify -verbose ./test.jpg, it showed quality at 93, and rendering intent as perceptual. That is probably good enough by default for a screen capture to JPG.

Oct 11, 2020 3:41 PM in response to rphillipchuk

Here is all the documentation that I could find. I don't see percentage thing, but what the hay:

https://ss64.com/osx/screencapture.html

This page will give more information on how to continue your search.

DYI.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/19899/how-to-list-all-available-plist-keys-on-a-certain-domain-application-by-default

I've run out of time 🤪.

R

terminal commands

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.