Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up to external hard drive with Time Machine

Hello!

I have a conundrum. I'm trying to help a friend (who is on a Mac) back up his Mac and one external hard drive to a second external hard drive. I thought we had it set so that the second external hard drive was set to be the backup disk in Time Machine. We also made sure the first external hard drive was included in the backup through Time Machine preferences. However, that's not working.

Any ideas? Thank you for your advice!

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 11:09 AM

zoeybird wrote:

I apologize; I wasn’t terribly clear. the Mac is backing up to the second external hard drive, but the first hard drive is not backing up.

If the drive is not backing up it is one indicator of a failing drive.

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/disk-utility/repair-a-disk-dskutl1040/mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2020 11:09 AM in response to zoeybird

zoeybird wrote:

I apologize; I wasn’t terribly clear. the Mac is backing up to the second external hard drive, but the first hard drive is not backing up.

If the drive is not backing up it is one indicator of a failing drive.

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/disk-utility/repair-a-disk-dskutl1040/mac

Oct 10, 2020 9:24 AM in response to zoeybird

zoeybird wrote:

Hello!

I have a conundrum. I'm trying to help a friend (who is on a Mac) back up his Mac and one external hard drive to a second external hard drive. I thought we had it set so that the second external hard drive was set to be the backup disk in Time Machine. We also made sure the first external hard drive was included in the backup through Time Machine preferences. However, that's not working.

Any ideas? Thank you for your advice!

If you hold the Option key and click the TM icon in the upper right menu bar> Browse Other Backup Disk

Back up to external hard drive with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.