Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Square icon arrow pointing right

There is a square box with rounded corners with an arrow pointing to the right when I touch it it opens up and it appears to read whatever text is on the screen audibly. I cannot figure out how to turn this option off and I’m constantly tapping it causing lots of frustration, how do I disable it?

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 11:21 AM

Hi Zurzertron,

It sounds like you have an accessibility feature enabled you would like to turn off and we want to help.

The things you're describing on the screen sound like the Speech Controller.

To turn this off go to Settings > Accessibility > Spoken Content, then turn off Speech Controller. If you would like to also turn off the Speak Screen option, turn that off as well.

Here's more info on each of these options:

Hear iPhone speak the screen, selected text, and typing feedback - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2020 11:21 AM in response to Zurzertron

Hi Zurzertron,

It sounds like you have an accessibility feature enabled you would like to turn off and we want to help.

The things you're describing on the screen sound like the Speech Controller.

To turn this off go to Settings > Accessibility > Spoken Content, then turn off Speech Controller. If you would like to also turn off the Speak Screen option, turn that off as well.

Here's more info on each of these options:

Hear iPhone speak the screen, selected text, and typing feedback - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Square icon arrow pointing right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.