Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ISO information is not displayed in Apple Photos for Canon CR3 file

I am seeing the same issue as in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251695043

Which was closed without resolution.

It looks like the ISO information is stored in a different EXIF field.

I used the same camera to generate JPEG and cRAW files, they produce different EXIF data. I used Preview to examine all the EXIF data (is there a way to do this from Photos?).

JPEG has a "Photographic Sensitivity (ISO)" field:

Which gets displayed in Photos:

The CR3 has "ISOSpeed":

Which is not displayed in Photos:

I also looked at a CR2 file from a different camera. It uses yet another EXIF field: "ISO Speed Ratings".

Apple Photos version: 4.0 (3461.7.160)

As a side note, the Lens name is also missing in the CR3 file too, but it looks like it is completely missing from the EXIF data so this seems to be an issue with Canon not writing the data into the file.

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 7:47 AM

9 replies

Oct 11, 2020 11:59 AM in response to musciplin

That camera is supported by Catalina.

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread)

Log into another vanilla admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Report back with the results.

Oct 11, 2020 1:08 PM in response to musciplin

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 11, 2020 5:17 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still seeing the issue. I've submitted feedback to Apple since this seems like a bug to me. I'm trying to find how to submit feedback to Canon too, though I certainly wouldn't expect a firmware update.

That camera is supported by Catalina.

It's listed as supported in Mojave too and everything else about the files works. I can view and edit the images, it's just annoying that I can't see the ISO without digging into the Photo Library package and opening the file with Preview.

ISO information is not displayed in Apple Photos for Canon CR3 file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.