Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro 2020 not recognising ext hard drive

My iPad Pro wont recognise my ext hard drive. Do I need any adapters for this to work? My hard drive has a usb c which is connected directly to the ipad but nothing is showing up in files.

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 2:51 PM

Your HDD must only have a single data partition - and be formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS. Multiple data partitions and Microsoft proprietary formats (such as NTFS) are not support by iPadOS.

You must also ensure that the HDD has an adequate source of power other than the iPad. If the HDD does not have an integral power supply, you must use a powered USB hub.

The iPad alone cannot supply sufficient power to high-power USB devices.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2020 2:51 PM in response to manda0310

Your HDD must only have a single data partition - and be formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS. Multiple data partitions and Microsoft proprietary formats (such as NTFS) are not support by iPadOS.

You must also ensure that the HDD has an adequate source of power other than the iPad. If the HDD does not have an integral power supply, you must use a powered USB hub.

The iPad alone cannot supply sufficient power to high-power USB devices.

IPad Pro 2020 not recognising ext hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.