Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Will Not Open Because of Nonexistent Update

I've been having an issue the last few weeks with a supposed Safari update. When Safari is open, if I click a link in a different application or a different application tries to take me to Safari (to log in, for instance), it throws an error (screenshot below) that "Safari is being updated/Safari cannot be opened while it is being updated." Weirdly, the error message does not have the Safari logo. Of course, the issue there is that Safari is already open. If I quit Safari, it will not re-open and gives the same error. Restarting my computer gives temporary relief (I can at least open Safari).

I have checked Software Update and the Mac App Store and there is no update for Safari listed (it would also be weird for the update to be installing while Safari is still open). I have also checked the Macintosh HD/Library/Updates folder and not seen anything for Safari. I was concerned about a virus, but MalwareBytes did not detect anything.

Any help in identifying and/or solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 9:42 PM

In order to get Safari, I restarted my computer. Sure enough, it did run some updates, including Safari. Given that there actually was a Safari update and I can open links, I'm going to tentatively believe that this is solved. I don't want people to think that I'm sitting here still with the problem though so here is the update.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2020 9:42 PM in response to Tfkalk

In order to get Safari, I restarted my computer. Sure enough, it did run some updates, including Safari. Given that there actually was a Safari update and I can open links, I'm going to tentatively believe that this is solved. I don't want people to think that I'm sitting here still with the problem though so here is the update.

Safari Will Not Open Because of Nonexistent Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.