Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2016 Macbook Pro as a server?

I have a 2014 Mac Mini with USB hard drives attacked for a home network server of sorts. Our MacBooks connect to that for Time Machine backups, archiving files, and such. It works fine for that but the graphics card sucks for 4K video editing when titles are added. The hot new 2018 Mini seems to have the same problem per reviews.

I would like to upgrade my 2016 MBP to the upcoming Apple Silicon version when it comes out. It's GPU is fine for my level of 4K videos. I would like to use the 2016 MBP to replace my Mini but when I close the lid on the MBP it disconnects from other devices on the network. I don't want to leave the lid up all the time due to space issues. Is there a work around to fix this problem? I couldn't find anything relevant online.

Or I can buy the 2018 Mini and add an eGPU. Just more clutter though.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 2:54 PM

Use Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display

If you connect an external keyboard, then the computer will remain on even with the lid closed.

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 11, 2020 4:36 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I have only one external monitor but I figured out how to test with both computers. I think this will work. I've long used my MBP with an external monitor and the lid down. The issue is 24/7 availability for other computers. It took a while to figure out how to test everything with the Mini and Pro sharing a monitor and only one wired keyboard.

I was testing with my iPad Pro / Files app and that will not work with the lid down. However, my wife's MBA does connect after the MBP's screen goes to sleep with the Energy app in Preferences and the MBP rigged up for the lid down.

This would be good enough. Thanks for getting me to rig it up differently!

Now the problem of no MBP with Apple Silicon yet :-)

Oct 11, 2020 4:40 PM in response to Kappy

I finally got my setup rigged right to test this. I've long used my MBP on an external monitor with the lid down but I wasn't having luck connecting other computers, but that was due to having to share the monitor with the Mac Mini. I figured out how to do that better but BobTheFisherman pushed me a bit to get creative.

Thank you for your massive help on this forum over a LOT of years! Your name has come up frequently with solutions.

2016 Macbook Pro as a server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.