Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my phone is using an old apple id and i need to change it to my current apple id

how do i change my old apple id to a new one

iPhone 5c, iOS 10

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 7:47 AM

Depends on what you mean by "change".

Your Apple ID is your entire Apple account. It holds your purchases, subscriptions, downloads, and access to your iCloud account, so access to photos, files and folders stored in iCloud.

Changing it for an entirely new one, means you lose access to all of that listed above. And no you cannot merge Apple IDs.

If you want to change the email address used for your Apple ID, then you can follow the steps here: Change the email address used your Apple ID - Apple Support

This retains the same "account" with access to all it purchases and content, but updates the email address used with it.

If you simply want to replace the entire account, on the iPhone with a new one, and access to previous purchases, content, and files is not important, then sign out of the Apple ID in Settings->Account(top of settings)->(scroll down)Sign Out, Settings->iTunes & App Stores->Apple ID, Settings->Messages and Settings->FaceTime, and sign in with the new one.

See here: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2020 7:47 AM in response to Mynogoodid2020

Depends on what you mean by "change".

Your Apple ID is your entire Apple account. It holds your purchases, subscriptions, downloads, and access to your iCloud account, so access to photos, files and folders stored in iCloud.

Changing it for an entirely new one, means you lose access to all of that listed above. And no you cannot merge Apple IDs.

If you want to change the email address used for your Apple ID, then you can follow the steps here: Change the email address used your Apple ID - Apple Support

This retains the same "account" with access to all it purchases and content, but updates the email address used with it.

If you simply want to replace the entire account, on the iPhone with a new one, and access to previous purchases, content, and files is not important, then sign out of the Apple ID in Settings->Account(top of settings)->(scroll down)Sign Out, Settings->iTunes & App Stores->Apple ID, Settings->Messages and Settings->FaceTime, and sign in with the new one.

See here: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

my phone is using an old apple id and i need to change it to my current apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.