Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is BBC Radio ever going to return to HomePod?

I purchased a HomePod for my mum a few days ago, I was under the impression that it was (finally) able to play radio stations using Siri.

I have now learned that due to some kind of dispute between BBC and TuneIn, it's now not possible to play any BBC Radio Stations using Siri.

This is a huge problem. Having to explain to my mum that she has to install a BBC app and make it play through her phone is going to be hard, considering that on her old Amazon Echo (supposedly an inferior unit), BBC radio was very easily playable.

If BBC radio isn't coming back to HomePod any time soon I think i'll have to return it and get an Echo Studio instead.

HomePod

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 3:49 PM

Who knows? My best workaround so far has been to create a shortcut that opens the following URL in Safari on my iPhone, and then hands off playback to my HomePod.

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/mediaset/http-icy-mp3-a/vpid/bbc_radio_fourlw/format/pls.pls

tt2

Similar questions

13 replies

Oct 25, 2020 3:14 AM in response to thomasrowland

OK, here goes:

Open Shortcuts on your iPad or iPhone.

Choose Music and when you see a box with Play Music, click on Music and choose Radio.

Find BBC Radio 4 or whichever station you need and select it.

That's the end of the first part.

Next, type Airplay into search and choose Set Playback Destination.

Click on the word after "Set playback destination to" (mine says iPad) and choose your HomePod location.

Rename the New Shortcut to whatever you like and that's it.The new shortcut will appear in My Shortcuts.

Click on it and the radio station will play in your HomePod.

Is BBC Radio ever going to return to HomePod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.