Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation of MacOS

I reset my Mac to factory mode by enter recovery mode to erase my data on Macintosh HD. After that I clicked reinstall MacOS which is the Catalina. However, when looking at my disk utility afterward , I have two Macintosh HD -Data then I followed this post to try to make my Mac back to normal. But then when I power it off and try to enter the recovery mode again ... it didn’t let me and a cycle of a folder with a question then spinning glove . when I finally able to get to the recovery mode and try to reinstall my system . It say MacOS Seirra which then continues the error of not able to install it. Please help , do I need to bring my Mac to apple at this point? I don’t need to backup any data so my data recovery will not be a problem.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 1:04 PM

The solution is to boot macOS Recovery again and use Disk Utility to completely erase the device.

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Step 3. "The device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

For the file system format select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Steps 1 and 8 are optional and inapplicable respectively.

Then, you should be able to install Sierra.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2020 1:04 PM in response to vy185

The solution is to boot macOS Recovery again and use Disk Utility to completely erase the device.

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Step 3. "The device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

For the file system format select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Steps 1 and 8 are optional and inapplicable respectively.

Then, you should be able to install Sierra.

Installation of MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.