Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound output from AirPods

Have followed all the guides on here to no avail. AirPods appear to be connected but no sound is coming from them. I have opened sound settings in system preferences and selected output audio to come through AirPods, which it says is happening yet the only audio comes from my MacBook speakers. I have tried reseting my AirPods multiple times but nothing works.

*it says this problem is in relation to my old MacBook with iOS 10.14 but I am currently experiencing this problem on my MacBook Pro 2019 with the latest iOS installed.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 5:17 PM

aar0npatr1ck Said:

"Yeah, it's seen. Like it literally says my sound output is my AirPods but no sound is actually coming through them. They are fully charged."

-------

Bluetooth Issues:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(updates), system configurations (i.e. for Bluetooth) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. It might take upto 3 attempts to reset each. So, be certain you have the time to so do.

• Create a New User:

What happens when you create a new user? Does it work? If so, it is probably something misconfigured in you current user.

• Use a Different Computer:

See if another computer is successful. If so, then it is probably this computer.

• Scan for Malware:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot. Once at the login screen, release shift. See if it all now works. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2020 5:17 PM in response to aar0npatr1ck

aar0npatr1ck Said:

"Yeah, it's seen. Like it literally says my sound output is my AirPods but no sound is actually coming through them. They are fully charged."

-------

Bluetooth Issues:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(updates), system configurations (i.e. for Bluetooth) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. It might take upto 3 attempts to reset each. So, be certain you have the time to so do.

• Create a New User:

What happens when you create a new user? Does it work? If so, it is probably something misconfigured in you current user.

• Use a Different Computer:

See if another computer is successful. If so, then it is probably this computer.

• Scan for Malware:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot. Once at the login screen, release shift. See if it all now works. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

Oct 12, 2020 4:21 PM in response to aar0npatr1ck

aar0npatr1ck Said:

"No sound output from AirPods: Have followed all the guides on here to no avail. AirPods appear to be connected but no sound is coming from them.[...]"

--------

Is this Even Seen?

Go into System Preferences, and see if this device is even seen under Sound. If not, try charging it.

Troubleshoot This:

Try the Troubleshooting Tips on these Apple Support Links:

No sound output from AirPods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.