Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime no longer works on IOS 9.3.6

My Grandma has iPad 3 or 4 with 3g and IOS 9.3.6, and I used to be able to call her via FaceTime without problems. But now, after upgrading my iPhones and IPad to IOS 14.0.1, I can’t reach her((

She doesn’t get a call. And when she calls me, I get a notification, but when I choose “answer”, the phone says “connection” and nothing happens.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 8:11 AM

I have the same issue, but with 9.3.5. Thanks Apple for further isolating us in these despicable times, where video communication was the only safe way of communicating visually with our elderly loved ones.

14 replies

Oct 19, 2020 2:23 AM in response to AntonPodlipsky

I was about to pull the trigger on 3 iphone SEs for my wife and the 2 grandmas.

Having just had to teach both grandmas how to video call in WhatsApp due to the same facetime issues experienced by the others.

Shame on Apple for doing this at such a time.

I don't think they have any intention of fixing it.

I will now wait until Black Friday to make my purchases and right now it's looking like android all the way.

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET.

Oct 20, 2020 5:22 AM in response to AntonPodlipsky

I work in a place where we pulled a bunch of iOS 9 devices out of retirement for FaceTime calls and we are also experiencing this issue. We have found a work-around.

On the newer (iOS 14) device, go into Settings > FaceTime and allow your Apple ID to be used for FaceTime calls. Touch to place a checkmark on your Apple ID under "YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT".

As long as the email is checked and active, you can make/receive FaceTime calls between the older and newer devices. You may need to have the older device call using the email address rather than the phone number, we have not gotten the number to work consistently by enabling the Apple ID for FaceTime calls. The email address always works, however.

This is a cumbersome fix on the scale we are using these, hopefully it's just a bug in the newest iOS release and Apple is working to fix.

Oct 23, 2020 6:09 AM in response to AntonPodlipsky

I’m so glad I could find this topic. I have the same issue. I bought iPad 2 and sent to grandma who lives alone far from where I live. It started having a problem so I have replaced with another iPad 2 but it is still the same when I tested tonight.

I was doubting a problem with iCloud but now I know it’s happening not only here in Japan, it’s happening all over the world!!!

Apple, do something. I feel very sad.

Oct 31, 2020 2:34 PM in response to SDuffy74

This didn't work for me sadly. All that is set in all the devices we have. The iPad Mini (1st Gen, running iOS 9.3.5). I try checking for updates but it says it's up to date. I tried removing my account from it and switching it to my daughter's account and it worked for one FaceTime call and then wouldn't work again.

If I call my wife's phone with my daughter's phone and then immediately call back with the iPad Mini it'll work. However that doesn't work when I try to contact my mother with the same process.

Nov 10, 2020 2:00 PM in response to AntonPodlipsky

I just upgraded an iPad Pro 12.9" Wi-Fi Cellular Gen 3 by wiping it down in DFU mode and installing iPadOS 14.2. I have an iPad mini running iOS 9.3.6. They connected flawlessly. I then called from the iPad mini on 9.3.6 to an iMac running macOS 11.0.1 Beta (20B5022a) and connected flawlessly. I then connected to iPad Pro 12.9" Wi-Fi Cellular Gen 4 running iOS 14.1 using the iPad mini on 9.3.6 and it was flawless. Finally I upgraded the iPad Pro 12.9" Wi-Fi Cellular Gen 4 to iPadOS 14.2, connected to the iPad mini on 9.3.6 and again flawless.

I would recommend wiping the iPad down to bare metal by putting it into Device Firmware Update mode and connecting it to a Mac or PC to reload the system. Back it up before you do!

FaceTime no longer works on IOS 9.3.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.