Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is 5G SA supported by iPhone 12 ?

With the tag line mentioned as 5G for iPhone 12, is it compatible and ready to support 5G SA on the NR Bands listed on Apple Website ? or it only supports 5G NSA during the initial launch ?

iPhone

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 11:36 PM

3 replies

Nov 10, 2020 8:59 AM in response to Murugesh_Nadar

Hi, according to several sources (like https://www.imore.com/digitimes-iphone-12-feature-qualcomms-x60-modem-not-x55) the iPhone 12 has the Qualcomm X60 5G modem. Both the Qualcomm X60 (3rd Gen) and its predecessor X55 (2nd Gen) modems support NSA and SA(Stand Alone) network modes (source: Qualcomm X60 press release).

T-Mobile US has already launched nationwide SA (press release T-Mobile August 4th). The iPhone HW supports SA, but I guess it will be a matter of software versions, phone and network configuration whether 5G SA is active. Remember, Apple will need to approve any new network functionality before your iPhone is allowed to use it.

I'm in Europe, no SA networks yet to my knowledge. Perhaps users in the States on T-Mobile can add their experience with SA, especially with regards to latency?

Nov 10, 2020 9:45 AM in response to eildert

The ifixit site specifically eyeballed a Qualcomm SDX55M 5G Modem in the iPhone 12/12 Pro, and that would contradict other sources that proclaim it to be the X-60 modem. The Digitimes observation that TSMC was starting production of the Qualcomm X-60 modem was likely a coincidental contract with Qualcomm, and not the modem that the ifixit actually observed after a teardown of the shipping iPhone 12/12 Pro.

Is 5G SA supported by iPhone 12 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.