Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Goes black during call and won’t wake up

The Apple iPhone 11 sometimes turns off the screen as soon as I answer a call. The screen goes unresponsive until the other party hangs up the call. I’m unable to do anything during the call including putting the call on speaker.

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 2:05 PM

I have the same problem. Sometimes I can’t wake it up at all. At that point, I turn it off then back on again.

I have found that wiping the ear speaker piece with my thumb wakes it up. Just one firm swipe with your thumb is all it needs. I don’t know why as I’m not a high tech person, but it seems to the job so far. Let me know if it helps. It’s worth a shot? Next time your phone doesn’t respond to waking, swipe the ear piece speaker on the device.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 2:05 PM in response to thanya93

I have the same problem. Sometimes I can’t wake it up at all. At that point, I turn it off then back on again.

I have found that wiping the ear speaker piece with my thumb wakes it up. Just one firm swipe with your thumb is all it needs. I don’t know why as I’m not a high tech person, but it seems to the job so far. Let me know if it helps. It’s worth a shot? Next time your phone doesn’t respond to waking, swipe the ear piece speaker on the device.

Oct 19, 2020 8:01 AM in response to thanya93

Hi there thanya93,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with your iPhone becoming unresponsive after answering a call, and we'd like to share some resources that can help.

Get started here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen

The steps here may also help: About iOS performance on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

Oct 25, 2020 6:34 AM in response to thanya93

I think you’re right on! These iPhones have “attention aware” feature in general settings and if it’s on, then the device requires your attention when unlocking/waking it. That ear piece/camera part of the device perhaps becomes obstructed at times with the tempered glass. Again, I’m not a techie. Just a thought.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Screen Goes black during call and won’t wake up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.