Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does apple have an external storage for imovies

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 8:31 AM

Hi, karenfromkingsland,

I am not sure whether you are asking about storing the iMovie app, the iMovie library, or movies shared from iMovie. You can store all of them on an external hard drive. They also can be backed up to an external drive using Time Machine. To store an iMovie library on an external drive the drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

You cannot store an iMovie library in the Cloud. As for storing movies in the cloud, I don't believe that Apple offers pure cloud storage, but rather only cloud storage that is a syncing operation, so if you delete a movie on a device connected to the cloud it will delete the movie on all devices that also are connected to the cloud. You can buy cloud storage from a third party vendor.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 8:31 AM in response to karenfromkingsland

Hi, karenfromkingsland,

I am not sure whether you are asking about storing the iMovie app, the iMovie library, or movies shared from iMovie. You can store all of them on an external hard drive. They also can be backed up to an external drive using Time Machine. To store an iMovie library on an external drive the drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

You cannot store an iMovie library in the Cloud. As for storing movies in the cloud, I don't believe that Apple offers pure cloud storage, but rather only cloud storage that is a syncing operation, so if you delete a movie on a device connected to the cloud it will delete the movie on all devices that also are connected to the cloud. You can buy cloud storage from a third party vendor.

-- Rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.