Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help, duplicate iMessages showing up, because of shared Apple ID, on two devices

My cell phone and iPad share the same Apple ID. PLEASE HELP, I need to set it up to where my text messages sent via phone, Do NOT show up in the texts on the iPad, which all my family uses.please advise.....I've turned this off in the past, but now?? It keeps staying on , and everyone can see Christmas gifts I am buying and other personal conversations on the family iPad

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 6:42 AM

If both the iPhone and iPad are your devices, it is normally advantageous to use the same AppleID for iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage and other services on both devices. However, if a device is shared (recognising that domestic iOS/iPadOS devices are not intended to be used by multiple users), this may create privacy and account security issues.

If the implications of having a “shared” device using your AppleID is acceptable to you, you can selectively disable synchronisation services that use iCloud.

To disable sharing of SMS/MMS messages with other devices, you can explicitly disable Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to OFF

You will also likely need to ensure that Messages in iCloud is disabled on your iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to OFF

If follows that you will want to maintain a maintain a backup of messages, received by your iPhone; as such keep this fewture enabled on your iPhone.

More information about SMS and MMS services can be found here:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I hope you find this to helpful in resolving the issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 6:42 AM in response to Ebuegingerbread

If both the iPhone and iPad are your devices, it is normally advantageous to use the same AppleID for iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage and other services on both devices. However, if a device is shared (recognising that domestic iOS/iPadOS devices are not intended to be used by multiple users), this may create privacy and account security issues.

If the implications of having a “shared” device using your AppleID is acceptable to you, you can selectively disable synchronisation services that use iCloud.

To disable sharing of SMS/MMS messages with other devices, you can explicitly disable Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to OFF

You will also likely need to ensure that Messages in iCloud is disabled on your iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to OFF

If follows that you will want to maintain a maintain a backup of messages, received by your iPhone; as such keep this fewture enabled on your iPhone.

More information about SMS and MMS services can be found here:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I hope you find this to helpful in resolving the issue.

Please help, duplicate iMessages showing up, because of shared Apple ID, on two devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.