Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine backups are excruciatingly slow since Catalina installation

Hi All

I recently installed Catalina (10.15.7) on my 2018 15" MacBook Pro (2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 500Gb SSD).

I back up to a LaCie (rugged) 2TB Thunderbolt drive.

In the past backups have been hourly and pretty quick. Since the installation they are very slow; eg one started at 3pm and finished five and a half hours later.

From the amount of data being backed up it appears that backups are no longer incremental.

Anyhow … I really want it to work the way it has in the past.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, and how to remedy it.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 9:28 AM

Hi Paul,

It looks you are experiencing some issues with Time Machine backups taking longer than expected to complete. Making sure your data is safe, and that the backup is completed in a timely manner is very important. You've come to the right place for assistance.

Take a look at the resource below. It offers some tips for when your backups take longer than you anticipate.

If Time Machine is slow on Mac

We hope this helps. Have a good day!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 9:28 AM in response to Paul Leadbitter

Hi Paul,

It looks you are experiencing some issues with Time Machine backups taking longer than expected to complete. Making sure your data is safe, and that the backup is completed in a timely manner is very important. You've come to the right place for assistance.

Take a look at the resource below. It offers some tips for when your backups take longer than you anticipate.

If Time Machine is slow on Mac

We hope this helps. Have a good day!

TimeMachine backups are excruciatingly slow since Catalina installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.